How do you stop hic-ups?
As you probably already know, it is very difficult, under normal circumstances, to stop hiccups.
Folklore is full of home remedies for this uncomfortable condition, including:
- Be horribly frightened
- Stand on your head and sing the national anthem (preferably Canada's)
- Eat a bag of sugar without drinking anything
- Get punched in the stomach by a professional wrestler
- Hold your breath until you see a tunnel with a light at the other end.
Unfortunately, science has not been able to verify that any of these work. To date, the only scientifically validated cures for hiccups are:
- Fill your lungs with a breathable liquid and then have it forcefully extracted
- Exhale sharply until your lungs are empty of air (works only in a zero-gravity environment)
- Walk to another continent barefoot with your eyes closed
There is also an inpatient surgical procedure that has shown to be successful in more than 30% of cases.
All information on this site is, to the best of our knowledge, false.
If any significant true information has slipped through, we apologize.
Contents © 2005–2012 so don't go spreading our lies without permission.